Friday, December 15, 2006

Caltex Extended Life Coolant

Today, I decided to replace the coolant in the roadster. It's been a year since the coolant was last drained and replaced. I used Caltex's Extended Life Coolant, which seems an ok choice, since it's also used by Ford, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, Audi, etc plus it's also affordable at P240 a liter. Based from the specification chart at the back, the maximum service interval for this coolant is five years for passenger cars...not bad at all.

So I drained the old coolant, which was, by the way, alreay brownish in color - must be from the rust and other crud in the cooling system. The old greenish color of the coolant wasn't as visible as it used to be...it's already been dilluted. Then I poured water into the filler neck to wash out some of the left over crud in the system. Next is I mixed Caltex's Extended Life Coolant with water - about 30% coolant concentrate and 70% water. After which I started the engine and checked for leaks. I'll test drive the roadster later to check whether the coolant is doing it's duty...I hope!

I also replaced the fuel line from the fuel filter to the carburetor...the old one has started cracking...must be due to the heat and vibration. The other day I also cleaned the fuel filter using carburetor cleaner. So far engine start-ups and idle are much better. My next mission is to have the tranny and differential fluid checked and if the budget permits...replaced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home