Saturday, May 27, 2006

Restoration Update: Custom Steel Mesh Air Filter

Ever since I bought the Fairlady back in January, I've been driving it without an air filter! Yes I know it's bad...really really bad! Well the problem is CLEARANCE. There's only about 2.5 inches of clearance between the carburetor intake and the hood so putting a regular paper/foam air filter is impossible! The next best thing is to custom fabricate an intake plumbing to accomodate a Simota/K&N air filter which would fit right beside the intake manifold.

However I didn't have the budget for that yet so I decided to fabricate my own air filter...a steel mesh one. Of course it doesn't offer much protection from fine impurities, but it will at least keep those pebbles, leaves, and nasty destructive bits away from the internals of the carburetor...well that's the plan anyhow. Plus the steel mesh looks good on the carb...indeed a sporty touch. Fortunately, I was able to get a good quality strainer with the same diameter (give or take a few millimeters) as the intake opening of the carb. It also seems to clear the hood by the narrowest of margins. I only had to cut the handle and the rim with a dremel grinder to finish the "custom fabrication." At least now there's some level of protection (hopefully) for the air intake...it's definitely better than nothing. And at P25 for the "custom" steel mesh air filter...it's not that bad :)

Now the testing begins. I started up the engine with the air filter in place and it seems to be doing well...it didn't get dislodged. Remember the air filter is just "clipped" into place. There are no screws or brackets to hold it down unto the carb. But I'll have to do some more testing to see if it'll "pass" normal driving conditions...as well as the notorious "EDSA Pothole Test." Hopefully it'll hold without further modifications. The only problem is it's already raining outside! Crap!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home