Tuesday, March 07, 2006






Engine Support Repair

Yesterday, as I was checking the engine bay for "anomalies" like loose nuts, leaks, cracks, etc., I happen to glance at the passenger side engine support. I noticed that one of the bolts was protruding so I got my rachet set and proceeded to tighten the pesky bolt. The darn thing wouldn't tighten so I took it out and inspected for wear. As it turns out, there's damage not only on the threads of the bolt, but also on the threads of the nut on the underside of the engine support.

The bolt is easy to replace...the problem lies in the nut, since it's fixed and cannot be removed/replaced. I decided that a longer bolt and another nut would fix the problem so I took some "crude" measurements and went down to the auto supply store. This bolt is really giving me a headache...even the auto supply store had a hard time finding the right "fine-threaded" one. Back at home with the needed extended bolt and nut, the installation became a nightmare. I had to crawl under the roadster to get the new nut screwed unto the longer bolt. After several tries still no use. The rachet is useless, since it couldn't fit into the small space (smaller than my fist) of the engine support bracket. Then I used an assortment of box wrenches trying to tighten that stubborn nut. Still no use. I needed a size 13 wrench for the nut, but all I had was 12, 14, and a "destructive" pair of pliers. These size 13 wrenches are as hard to find as roadster parts. It was really tempting to use that pair of pliers! That would have definitely "wasted" the sides of the nut. Finally in desperation I asked our family driver if he had one. After a minute and a half he came back and placed a size 13 wrench on the palm of my hand! Darn it! If only I had asked an hour ago! For the last time I crawled back into that quite claustrophobic space and finally was able to tighten the nut. I also tightened the other engine support nuts just to be safe. What a day its been...just for that nut and bolt! I'm keeping the size 13 wrench for myself :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home