Monday, February 27, 2006


New Lap Belts

When I bought the roadster, it didn't come with the standard lap belts nor did it have an aftermarket 3-point seat belt...luckily no highway patrol guys were looking :) After having repaired/maintained most of the mechanicals in my SPL-311, it was now time to focus on the "safety" side or the lack thereof. I've always been partial to the purists side of restoration so instead of looking for a 3-point harness and even a racing one (5-point?), I raided a whole strip of auto supply stores in search of those illusive lap belts (I'm not planning to drag race the car anyhow...just planning for Sunday cruising within the legal limits). After several auto supply stores and hours of searching, I finally found something suitable. Most of the lap belts I found had poor quality straps (like the ones found in backpack straps...and poor quality ones at that!). The ones I bought were satisfactory in quality - "Autofriend" is the brand (probably made in Taiwan). I installed the driver side lap belt via the lug nuts opposite of each other (no drilling was done), but had to have the passenger seat removed at Autosport (the repair shop where I usually go to). At last, new lap belts installed... they compliment the seats too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home