Monday, February 13, 2006





Project Time Machine is the restoration project (currently ongoing - thanks James for the blog idea) of my 1965 SPL-311 Datsun Fairlady which I acquired (anxiously) on the 10th of January, 2006. I saw this classic on eBay.ph last December and for some reason it got stuck in my mind...never to be forgotten...really. My friend, Mig, helped me pick up the Fairlady from Rizal. Luckily I managed to bring the roadster home safely...almost hit another car in an intersection as the roadster, didn't have stopping power...felt like it didn't have brakes at all! The engine ran well...didn't overheat even with the heavy traffic in some parts of Marikina. That was one adventure!

The thought of making a dream a reality was just too much for me to contain. And on December 24, 2005 I met with the owner and saw the beauty for th first time...WOW! The body is in excellent condition (a bit rusty yes, but hey it's a forty-one year old car!)... the chassis is straight, body panels are smooth and aligned, interior including the original leather seats are still in good condition, the "uber-retro" gauges (except for the oil pressure gauge and amp meter) and toggle switches are still the original ones, soft top and hard top still intact and functional, the vintage 14" rims are equally hard to find (although the center hub caps are missing), and astonishingly the engine is still the original 1.6 liter R16 96BHP Datsun motor that came with the car...and it runs great! In other words, this car is one heck of a find! So the only problem was changing the engine oil...or so it seemed!

2 Comments:

Blogger Conner said...

Nice project blog! You've made a lot of progress going through the mechanical systems, that is clear. If you haven't already, check out my roadster project blog: http://www.mydatsunroadster.com.

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im just curious how much did you pay for the car?

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home