Thursday, March 02, 2006






New Bosch Ignition Coil

Today I bought a new Bosch Ignition Coil with an external resistor. It turns out that I've been running the roadster without a ballast resistor! I had to learn the hard way when I installed a new ignition coil (also Bosch - color code is blue) and after driving the Fairlady for about 20 minutes the engine died...it quit completely and wouldn't restart. I was left stranded along C5 - Kalayaan at around 5:30 pm. Luckily there weren't any patrol cars or MMDA tow trucks around, but it was getting dark. I called up the family driver and had him bring the old Bosch ignition coil. I also called-up the towing service (MAC) just to be sure...the roadster might need to be towed if all else fails. Both arrived at around 6:45-7 pm...luckily no incidents as I've been told that that area was a bit dangerous. Anyway, one traumatic incident happened before the driver and the MAC tow truck arrived. I was sitting inside the roadster when all of a sudden I smell burnt rubber. I thought it was from another source (other than my car) when all of a sudden the engine compartment was belching out thick black smoke! I thought the car was on going to roast!!! It wasn't funny at the time, but I was actually prepared to take off my shirt and "exstinguish" the flames! :) I popped the hood and the smell of burnt rubber immediately filled the surrounding air. Quite traumatic indeed! I quickly got my flashlight (a real lifesaver) and saw that the ignition coil had been turned into some sort of black "rubbery" goo...thank God no fire...really!!! I had the coil replaced with the old "trusty" one and the roadster came back to life without hesitation...no need for a tow truck :) A lot of angels must have been there with me :) I'm greatful indeed!

So the moral of the story is...always use a resistor for your ignition coil! The one that I bought has part number: 0-221-119-030/KW12V (made in Brazil) and is color coded red. I also downloaded the original wiring diagram for a 1965 SPL311 and indeed there's supposed to be an external resistor connected to the coil. I'll have the coil and resistor wired up on Saturday. Hopefully this will solve the "over-heating" problem of the coils. Keeping my fingers crossed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home