Sunday, April 23, 2006





Finally, I was able to replace the worn out fuel line, which almost cost me the whole roadster! Just this Monday, as I was driving around the subdivision...I smelled fuel coming out from the engine compartment. As I was checking under the bonnet, I immediately saw the culprit...a loose fuel line just below the header! Fuel was dripping...no...gushing... to the hot headers! I immediately went to the house and got the big red fire extinguisher...just in case. Luckily the fuel didn't ignite as the headers weren't hot enough (the engine had been running for around 20 minutes so it wasn't as hot as it should be if I were driving it on the highway...which I was actually planning to do if I hadn't spotted the fuel leak!). The other day I had the leak fixed and if I hadn't checked thoroughly...the roadster would have been toast! I also had the floater checked, since the fuel gauge wouldn't read full even with a full tank of gas. As it turns out, the floater also had a fuel leak. The mechanic patched the gasket up with Silicon RTV, which he says is also effective in sealing up fuel tanks. He checked the floater and it's still in good working condition. The problem lies in the fuel gauge, which I'll have to send to the electrician when I have the time...and moolah! I guess I'll have to stick with the current fuel gauge, since it does work, but won't show if the gas is full. It's better than a crapped-out gauge...since I can still check if there's fuel in the tank or if it's nearing empty.

So it really pays to check the engine bay everytime you start the car...a "pre-flight check" if you will. You'll never know what will happen with a forty-three year old car! I tested it this morning and no fuel leaks...so far. It really is a good feeling if the car performs the way you expect it to be...and at times...beyond. I really had a blast driving it down EDSA at 80+ kph...with the wind in the hair, the warm summer sun, and the open road...less the potholes of course! yeeha! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home