Monday, August 11, 2008

Datsun Fairlady Periodic Maintenance


About a week ago, I had the Fairlady roadster go through the periodic maintenance after the two month break-in period. I replaced the oil filter, engine oil, transmission oil, and differential oil. I also topped up the steering box with differential oil and had all the suspension fittings greased. I also had the front left tire checked, since it was losing pressure steadily...turned out there was a small leak at the rim of the wheel.

For the engine oil, I changed from using 10W-40 Castrol Magnatec to 10W-40 Havoline Synthetic Blend (API-SM), which is a bit more expensive (around P1,500 per gallon). I have to admit, there's a noticeable difference with the Havoline. The morning start-ups are much easier and the revolution of the engine is much faster via the starter motor. The Havoline is a long drain oil that's recommended for turbocharged engines and off-road use, which will definitely do good in protecting the engine components when I rev the engine up to 6,000 rpm!


As for the transmission oil, I changed from Conoco 80W-90 (GL-5) to Castrol EP 80W-90 (GL-4). The shifting immediately lightened and the synchro noise from 1st to 2nd gear has lessened. The old transmission oil was still clear, which points out that the transmission casing is still well sealed.


For the differential oil, I changed from Conoco SAE 140 to Castrol LSX90 Axle Oil (GL-5). The heavy duty Castrol Axle Oil is much lighter and is actually the oil viscosity recommended by the service manual. This oil is actually for limited slip differentials, which should take good care of the differential for those spirited driving moments in the Fairlady!

Also topped up the steering box with Castrol LSX90 for good measure.

So far, Project Time Machine is running well and hard without any problems. My next project might be is to install a stainless steel exhaust with a flex pipe and a megaphone tip! And my dad keeps nagging me to install rollbars so I'll have to put that in the list as well. That's it for now! KG (Karmann Ghia) Slayer reporting for duty!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home