Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mikuni Twin-side Carburetor Project


Finally, I was able to bring home Project Time Machine with the newly installed Mikuni 40mm PHH Type T Twin-side carburetors! The stainless steel intake manifold and 4-1 headers are awesome! The engine has turned into a beast! I was grinning all the way home as I drove the Fairlady...that was really something. The sad part is that I have to overhaul the engine. The reason being the 3 and 4 cylinders have low compression (only 60 psi each). Compression tests and valve adjustments for intake and exhaust show that the piston rings are probably the culprit.



But even thought the R16 engine is just running on two cylinders (compression of about 130 psi each), the acceleration is still phenomenal especially with the deafening intake roar at 5,000 rpm speeding through traffic at 100 kph! It's really a special experience!


I might start on the overhaul tomorrow. I'll be leaving the car at R and R auto shop with, Rene, the shop's manager. Estimated labor cost for the overhaul is pegged at P8,000 plus machine shop cost of another P8,000. As for parts, I'll be the one buying to get the cheapest price possible. I do hope that parts are still available! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!


Even now, the grin on my face just won't go away. I can't wait to take the Fairlady out for a spin again! Man, what a drive that was!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home