Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Repairs, Maintenance, and Soft Top Replacement

Today I went to Terry Yamat Machine Shop in Quezon City to have the starter mount re-threaded. A few days ago I noticed that the bolt on the mount had come loose and as I was trying to tighten it up...it would always slip. The threads on the bolt were okay, but on the mount it was a different story. The problem is that to re-thread the starter mount...the transmission would need to be taken down, which is a really expensive "operation." The problem is that in order to disassemble the tranny...the engine has to be removed first...really bad and really expensive.

With my fingers crossed I met up with the owner of the machine shop. After some "strategizing" he decided to re-thread the mount along with the tranny using a steel bolt. Since the tranny and starter mount were aluminum...threading the bolt into the mount and tranny would be a bit more easier than if both were iron castings. The only problem is I don't know about the rusting properties of combining steel and aluminum. But at least the starter is now secured...one less thing to worry about. Cost was P280.

Then I went to a Caltex gas station to have the fittings/zerks greased. Cost was P210.





After which, I went to Seatmakers Auto Interiors shop along Boni Serrano to have the soft top replaced...FINALLY! I actually can't wait to see the finished product. Instead of Black, I chose Tan for the canvas and Beige for the interior lining. I also had the gear lever added up with a layer of insulation to keep the hot air from coming into the cockpit. Cost will be at P4,500.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home