Monday, April 01, 2013

Sumitomo Disc Brake Caliper Overhaul

 Dunlop MkII designed Sumitomo piston assembly...already cleaned and sanded down

I've just overhauled the left front disc brake yesterday. Got to replace the left-side piston rubber seal and dust cover with a brand new kit I bought from TCL Manufacturing (a local company that manufactures automotive rubber parts). The left front disc brake has been leaking since I raced the Fairlady last year in September at the Batangas Racing Circuit. I just had the time this weekend to finally replace the seal and dust cover.
 Caliper kit from TCL Manufacturing to be installed on the piston and housing

I also got to clean the piston and piston housing, which was already pitted. I also sanded the housing inside to smoothen-out the pitting and also I sanded down the protruding guide pin.

 Dunlop Mk II designed calipers which were made by Sumitomo were stock for the Fairlady. Similar ones used were used on the Jaguar E-Types.
 I had to sand down the inner housing to smoothen up the pittings. This will allow the piston to move freely when the brakes are applied.
Piston housing finally installed and ready for testing.
 I finally got to test the disc brakes this morning. I had to bleed the air out from the calipers several times...no leaks coming from the pistons and the brake lines. I'll continue to test them when on longer trips.
 I also adjusted the ride height on the springs using rubber inserts underneath the spring. It's much even now with the other (lighter) side of the chassis.
Double A-arm stock suspension set-up of the Fairlady.Very durable, but heavy. Good nonetheless.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sir,

Please let me know where can I find this India. I have requirement of the same.

Regards,

Praveen
9783202338

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home